Did someone say Quaran-fifteen?! Okay, bad joke? The last thing I want to do is gain the quaran-fifteen especially post-baby! BUT, this Devil’s Food Cake with a yummy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is so worth it so I had to get it up on the blog ASAP. If you’re having an at-home special occasion (ya know, socially distancing but still celebrating), late-night craving, or really just need a good distraction from all of the COVID-19 craziness then I highly recommend whipping this up.
This Devil’s Food Cake recipe is moist (eh, I know, moist), not too sweet, and hits the spot. The Vanilla Buttercream frosting is just that – the frosting on the cake. It definitely takes it to the next level.
Fun fact: want to know the difference between chocolate cake and Devil’s Food Cake? Devil’s Food Cake is often darker & less sweet than any other kind of chocolate cake.
Devil’s Food Cake
Serving Size: 8-10 servings // Prep Time: 25 min // Bake Time: 35 min
Ingredients for Devil’s Food Cake:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions for Devil’s Food Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease two 9″ round cake pans.
- In a mixer, beat sugar, butter & salt until nice and fluffy (5 minutes at minimum on speed 2-3)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder & baking powder
- Add in eggs one at a time to the butter mixture, ensure each is well mixed in before adding more
- Mix milk and vanilla together
- Add 1/3 of your flour mixture into the butter mixture. Next, add 1/2 of the milk mixture to the butter mixture. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture in followed but the rest of the milk mixture and lastly, the last 1/3 of the flour mixture.
- Mix well and distribute evenly into your two pans.
- Bake for 35 min and allow to cool completely before removing from pans and icing.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Serving Size: enough for one cake with two layers // Prep time: 10 min
Ingredients for Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening (crisco)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
Directions for Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- Beat butter, crisco & salt until fluffy
- Add in 1/2 of your sugar (2 cups)
- Add in 1/2 of your milk
- Add in vanilla
- Add in the rest of the sugar
- Add in the rest of the milk