Okay so admittedly, the first time around with Clyde, I packed very unpractically to head to the hospital. Like tight-ish maxi dress as my “going home outfit” unpractically. Yea…I didn’t wear that. I also brought a separate diaper bag just for Clyde with outfits, blankets, diapers, and who knows what else…and yea, I didn’t even open it while we were there.
To be honest, it is all kind of a blur as to what exactly I brought the first time around to the hospital but what I will say is this…I learned my lessons and now this time around, I’ll ONLY be bringing the ESSENTIALS.
First things first…timing. If you’re a first time mom, I suggest packing around 35 weeks. You never know what could happen. But if you have girlfriends anything like mine, you’ll be anxiously pressured into packing sooner – ha!
Essentials for Mom:
- Flip Flops
- Bring rubber, shower flip flops that can be rinsed & washed. Preferably in black. Ladies, let me just shoot it to you straight… there will be blood. And you’ll be grateful that you don’t ruin those cute pink fuzzy slippers especially since hospital floors are G.R.O.S.S. and again, there will be blood.
- I plan to bring these Oofos flips flops. Again, let me shoot it to you straight, these are not cute. I’m sorry, but they aren’t. HOWEVER, they are a dream underfoot and hands down the most comfortable flip flops I own. I’ve been wearing them around the house lately to be honest because they’re that good. If these aren’t your jam, then I suggest Havianas.
- Cozy Robe
- This Barefoot Dreams Robe is something I’ve been living in since it was gifted to me at Christmas and I know it will be the first thing I reach for post-delivery. It’s a splurge but the fabric is dreamy and perfect to stay cozy during those first few baby snuggles.
- Button Up PJ’s
- I packed these Nordstrom pajamas and opted for the sleep shirt because it’s basically a hospital gown (which I lived in the first time around BTW) but it’s a bit more put together..and comfortable.
- Again, I’ll suggest choosing a dark color. You will be bleeding, there will be blood.
- 1 Nursing Bra
- I purchased these from Amazon and I can already tell I’ll love them. Comes in a pack of two, they’re seamless, have sturdy cups and are super comfy.
- Some may prefer a nursing tank however, I went with a simple Target special. I sized one size up and got a ribbed easy layering tank to throw on whenever. Also, it was $8 so a win!
- Comfy Going Home Clothes
- Ladies, no one cares what you wear going home. You’ll be so focused on baby and ensuring the car seat is good, you got some pictures of baby, and that you didn’t forget to grab 100 pairs of mesh undies. Welcome to Motherhood. Go comfy. Trust. I bought these Eberjey Slouchy Pajamas and LOVE them. And yes, again, they are black.
- Body Wash
- Hair Brush & Hair Ties
- Skincare Essentials
- Makeup Essentials – we’re not going to prom, but putting on some under eye concealer & mascara never hurt anyone.
- Dry Shampoo
Essentials for Dad / Partner:
- Comfy Clothes & a couple t-shirts because it could be awhile…
- Extra long phone charger
Essentials for Baby:
- Car Seat
- I used the Uppababy Mesa car seat for Clyde and will be using the same for this baby. It was perfect – it’s safe, easy to install, and works with the Vista stroller.
- Also, it’s a must to have installed before you leave the hospital.
- 1-2 Onesies
- I plan to only bring one onesie. I used the onesies that the hospital gave us with Clyde the whole time we were there.
- Going Home Outfit
- I’m bringing one pink and one blue going home outfit because we didn’t find out the gender either time. These Hanna Andersson organic cotton onesies are THE.BEST. I can’t recommend them enough.
- 1 Swaddle Blanket
- You’ll mostly use the hospital blanket however, for going home, you may want one of your own swaddle blankets. These Aden + Anais swaddles were my favorite with Clyde and I packed one again this go around.
Take everything the hospital offers you. Basically, if it isn’t nailed down, take it. Kidding…sort of. But take all of the mesh underwear, take all of the witch hazel, take all of the ice packs, etc. You’ll be so happy you did once you get home.