Who doesn’t love a good chicken noodle soup?! Well I spiced things up a bit from the traditional version and made it a chicken tortilla soup (with noodles). It’s been raining here EVERYDAY so this soup hit the spot and I like the heartiness that the noodles bring to it, although super untraditional. If noodles aren’t your thing, swap in a more traditional Mexican rice mix. I honestly just didn’t have any on hand.
Soup and rainy days seem to go together like PB&J. I’ve always loved chicken tortilla soup and this one is super easy to make, plus everyone can garnish their own making it a fun meal for kids!
Serving Size: 6 // Prep Time: 20 minutes // Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Two 32 oz containers of chicken broth
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1.5 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 lbs of chicken breast, pre-baked & cubed OR shredded meat from 1 rotisserie chicken (I prefer the perfectly plain from Whole Foods)
- 12 oz box of fusilli pasta, I used Jovial to make this gluten free!
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for topping
- Avocados, diced for topping
- 1 bag of Siete grain-free tortilla chips (they’re the best!), for topping
- Limes, for topping
- In a dutch oven, or large soup pot, over medium high heat combine the chicken broth, tomato, onion, corn, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add the chicken.
- Stir in the pasta & cumin. Allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish as you see fit using tortilla chips, avocados, cilantro, and freshly squeezed limes.