I tested this meaty lasagna recipe out for a friend this week and made double for ourselves and I must say – it was delicious! Cooking for my family truly is amazing but when I can share my love of cooking & food with friends, it makes me SO happy!
I love how this lasagna recipe can be versioned to fit your needs or tastes – whether you’re looking for dairy-free, gluten-free, or egg-free WITHOUT sacrificing flavor, of course! And you can always eliminate the meat to make this a vegetarian option, but that definitely wouldn’t fly in my house.
Serving Size: 6 // Prep Time: 20 minutes // Cook Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for the Meat Sauce:
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped onion (roughly 1 medium sweet onion)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage (out of the casing)
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
Ingredients for the Ricotta:
- 1 package of kite hill almond ricotta
- 1 can garbanzo bean liquid
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
Additional Ingredients Needed:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large pot (I use my le creuset dutch oven ) heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic, onions, celery & carrots. Cook until softened.
- Add sausage and ground beef & break up. Cook for roughly 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes.
- Add oregano and basil.
- Cover with lid & simmer.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine ricotta with spinach, salt & garbanzo bean liquid until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot with a generous amount of salt, boil noodles roughly 11 minutes. Drain & rinse with cold water.
- Assemble your lasagna: Use a 9×13 pyrex dish. Layer the Rao’s tomato basil sauce in the bottom of the pan. Next, add a layer of noodles. Then layer a thick serving of the meat sauce. Add ricotta on top. Add another layer of noodles. Top with more meat sauce.
- Bake lasagna (with foil on top) for 30 minutes.
- Option to serve with fresh parmesan cheese…completely optional, of course!